Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Metro-Richmond Zoo

Last night before bed I was supposed to figure something out to do today since it was a no school day for Katie and we knew Dan had Night Land Navigation.  We had all day to do something, but of course I went to bed and forgot to make plans.  In the morning at breakfast we met a family with twin 3 year old boys who said they had fun at the Richmond Zoo the day before.  Richmond, eh?  That's only like an hour and a half from here.  Okay- we'll do it.  We went upstairs to get ready and started on our drive.  I figured the GPS would lead us in the right direction if we started on 1-95 South. After an hour, the zoo still wasn't popping up.  I picked the closest one- 97 more miles away?  Panic.  I cant drive 2 1/2 hours for a zoo.  I tried to call my Dad but realized it was only 7:30 on the West Coast and quickly hung up.  Who would be awake at 7:30?  Information.  They pointed us in the right direction and after turning around and several toll roads we made it to the zoo.



I don't want to be a zoo snob, but San Diego has a spectacular zoo.  More like a botanical garden with animals in it.  This was more like a kid zoo, which was perfect for a three year old.  The exhibits was small so the animals were forced to be close to us..

Katie trying out her flamingo skills.

Making new friends

We even named the emus (Emu, Smemu, and Emette)

 Then we got to the giraffe feeding area!  fun.  Who doesn't love feeding giraffes?  We watched a guy feed one first and he had about 2 feet of giraffe slobber on his hand when he was done.  ewww.  Still fun though


ahhh! What a tongue!

He wanted more.  Katie put like one little pellet in her hands

Levi says, "Why is that giraffe eying me?"

The lady who took this said, "I got one where everyone was looking, even the giraffe"

She got smarter and fed him from the cup
After the giraffes we went to the budgee exhibit.  I knew more about the birds than the lady who worked there (it was her first time in that exhibit)  We bought the bird food stick and decided to feed the birds.  Katie was a little rough with the birds.  She really wanted to hold the birds- like cup them in her hands.  They were very friendly birds and didnt mind her flicking them off the stick, holding them upside down, trying to cup them, pulling their feathers a little.  I tried to contain her, but when holding Levi and trying to stop him from grabbing the birds too there was only so much I could do.  (no budgees were harmed, just extra loved)


The first bird she got

Another one joined in

She shook those ones off and got a green one

Well, 2 green ones and a blue one

Levi was thinking, How can I eat those birds?
Woah, Mommy caught one!

I think I like this thing (Thanks for taking pictures Katie)
There were a few more animals that we could feed, like camels, sheep, and goats.  Katie likes to name each animal before she feeds it and talk to them.  She expects them to listen and follow instructions.  Some were not good listeners :)


She also feeds them one piece at a time.  I still have food in the rental car....

Sweet goats

She likes sheep too
Now I tried to convince her to feed the camel but she looked at me like I was crazy. So I fed the camel and do you know what he did?  That bugger bite my ponytail - enough to spin my head around.  I think he wanted to drag me off.  punk camel!


See me nicely feeding the camel?

And then! WAPACHA!  He's got my hair!

 After being traumatized by the camel, we enjoyed some hotdogs and Katie played at a playground before we took their little tram around the safari.  It was fun and then time to head home so we could enjoy dinner with Dan before his nighttime land navigation tonight.  We ate at the obstacle course.  When he comes over this weekend I will pull the pictures off his phone to post.  So cute.  So while we are sleeping comfortably in our beds, Dan will be out there somewhere crossing streams by moonlight trying to find his boxes :)  Hopefully he passes so we can have a fun weekend.

<3 Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment