Sunday, March 23, 2014

Virginia Adventure # 2- Mount Vernon

Yesterday it was the current President's house and today it was the first President's house.  Last time we were here, Dan mentioned going to Mount Vernon, but it seemed too difficult since we didn't have a rental car.  Que current visit and a rental car- we are also closer this time.  It was a freezing day, especially compared to yesterday.  I still wore my flip flops since I can't stand my tennis shoes.  Not sure why I brought them.  I think the high was 44 degrees!  That's mighty cold for a Southern California girl!
Lax car seat laws in Virginia allow for a lot more freedom to wiggle :)
I think Katie's favorite part of the visit was seeing all of the animals.  They had cows, very noisy sheep and lambs, geese, chickens, and pigs.  Katie wanted to feed all of the animals. I think they appreciated getting access to hay that was previously out of reach


Katie made a new friend
 We also explored all of the trails and walked down to the Potomac River to try and keep warm.  Katie was throwing rocks into the river with such gusto that I was worried she might fall in.  Dan and I devised a plan in case that happened :)  Luckily we didn't have to save her, because that water looked freezing. 

Exploring George Washington's property

We made it to the River

Levi was really not sure about the cold weather.  I think he misses Escondido!

 On our walk back up to the house for our tour we walked through Washington's orchards (totally bare) and  found a huge field of sheep and baby lambs.  They were so loud.  At first I thought it was kids making the bizarre noises, but once everyone left I knew it was the lambs.  Strange little fellows.






By this point Levi was cold and crying so we asked if we could do our tour early and luckily it was okay.  It was plenty warm inside the house.


So happy to all be together again at Mount Vernon


They said the men decorated the main part of the house and that the women decorated the master bedroom.  The whole house was painted in the most expensive paint colors to show how wealthy Washington was.  His bedroom was a simple white design.  Guess Martha wasn't as interested in showing off as her husband.  On the way to the exit we watched a blacksmith making a trivet and then went to meet Martha Washington.  Katie asked her what she liked to eat :)  Guess it was lunch time or really dinner time by that point.


1 comment: