Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Delicate Arch and Canyonlands




We wanted to do the Delicate Arch hike so badly, but it was rated strenuous- a 3 mile round trip with elevation gain, no shade, and steep drop-offs.  We decided to wake up at 5:30 this morning to do the hike- Dan woke up a half hour earlier to make breakfast.  It was a lovely 68 when we started the hike and it was tough but slowly we made it all the way up.  We had to follow these little piles of rocks as trail markers.  Some people got very lost.  There was this boy who went the wrong way.  He came up on the bottom of the arch and yelled out to all of us, "Excuse me, Does anyone know where the Arch is?  I am utterly lost."  He was literally sitting on the base of the arch in its shade but couldn't tell because of his angle.  It seemed like something from a TV show.  Eventually his family found him.

Early on our trail- about 6:30 am

hiking up the slickrock

getting closer

a small arch along the way

We made it!



The Delicate Arch

That's Dan and Katie under there



so spectacular and worth the crazy hike for me





Dan was still feeling spunky and went to see the petroglyphs too


When we were walking back down it was up to 88, which felt very hot for me.  I felt bad for the throngs of people trying to make the hike at this point in the day. 
After some trendy $40 brunch/ snacks we decided to head over to Canyonlands National Park Island in the Sky to do the Grand View hike.  When we got here Katie had fallen asleep and Dan joined her, so I guess I will wait for them to wake up. 
 When my loves woke up we went on the "easy" hike.  After doing the "strenuous" hike this morning, I thought I could easily handle this one.  Boy was I wrong.  It was way too hot.  I couldn't make it to the end and had to sit and rest for a long time to cool down.  Still great views. 

That top layer below me is 1,300 feet down


stunning views

my hikers

Katie and her car



My camera can not do this place justice

Katie's motorcycle



They made it to the end



No comments:

Post a Comment