Saturday, August 1, 2015

Levi's Quiet Book Page 2- The Road and the Pond

Sweet little Levi loves cars so I had to make him a page with cars on it that he could move around.  My grand plan was to make a double page with one long road that curved around through an interesting landscape.  I spent a whole day trying to figure out how to do this.  I make the big road and used a pipe cleaner as the track to attach the car since I could bend it, but the pipe cleaner wouldn't stay put so I had all of these ridiculous tunnels to try to keep it in place.  It looked bizarre. Only in Japan would a road have that many tunnels.  So eventually I caved and decided that it would have straight line roads with multiple cars.  I was going to have two horizontal roads and one vertical road....  It was too much black so I ripped out the vertical road and made the natural scene a little bigger.  Doesn't everyone prefer another grassy hill and an apple tree to another road?  I know that technically roads are considered open space by the Carlsbad development committee, but in my world.... I digress.  I wanted more trees
  

I like to have my son test these things out as I make them.  His favorite part was.... the DUCKS.  Hummm.  Maybe I shouldn't have spent for ever trying to come up with roads and should have just made a duck pond.  At first I attached the ducks with a small string to the middle of the pond so they wouldn't fly away, then I added velcro to the ducks and their base of operation.  After moving them around a few times I decided the velcro was lame and removed it.  Now they are more free ranging ducks. 
The finished product!!!!



My four year old moved the duck onto the top road and had the police car run him over.....  I think this could be made for an older child too with a little apple basket and removable apples.  I have so much c r a p all around my house that I wanted everything to stay connected to the book.

If anyone knows how to make a winding road with a car attached, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment